Font Size: decrease font size Increase font size

Transferring Your Voucher


Your HCV rental assistance can stay with you if you move — whether it’s down the block or to a different state.

The steps below outline the process of transferring your voucher to your new home.

Notify CHA

Call your case manager to request your transfer packet.

If you are on a fixed-term lease and it is still in effect, or if you owe CHA or your current landlord money, you will not be approved to transfer.

Give notice to your landlord. Your packet contains a form to provide a 30 day notice. Both you and your landlord must sign and date it. We will keep a copy for your file and give you a copy for your files.

If your landlord issued you a notice to vacate, attach it to the packet.

Drop off or mail your request to your case manager at 201 Switzler Street Columbia MO 65203.

Report Changes in Your Household’s Family Composition

If you have had any reduction or addition of family members since your last review, you must notify us.  All family members must meet eligibility requirements for the program.

Schedule an Appointment with Your Case Manager

After we receive your request, your case manager will review your information for completeness and will schedule you for an in-office appointment.

You will receive your voucher at the appointment, along with all other papers you will need to complete the transfer.

Expenses to Consider Before You Decide to Move

Moving to a new home can be expensive and difficult, even if you aren’t moving very far. Here are some things to think about when deciding whether now is a good time to move.

  • Apartment application fee(s)
  • Rental security and cleaning deposits
  • Telephone, water, electrical, and other utilities
  • Hiring movers
  • Truck rental costs
  • Gasoline and other travel expenses
  • New furniture and/or appliances
  • Storage space
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Carpet cleaning
  • Time off from work
  • A new childcare provider
  • New school registration

You may also end up with rent “overlap” if you move too soon. Sometimes HCV participants move into a new unit before the lease at their old unit has ended. In this case, you will be expected to pay for the full rental amount until your subsidy begins.


The Section 8 Waiting List is now open!
See details here

You Should Know

CHA provides housing assistance to over 1,900 families in Columbia and Boone County.

Families pay 30% of their adjusted household income for rent.

Our Family Self-Sufficiency Programs help families develop five-year plans for self-sufficiency.

Contact Us

201 Switzler St.
Columbia, MO 65201
(573) 443-2556 phone
(800) 735-2966 TTY Relay